Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Our Trip To Italy!

For three weeks in Jan/Feb we were able to tag along with Victor to Naples, Italy. Victor had some flying work to do there with the Italians and the girls and I gladly went with him!
Victor went a few days ahead of us to secure things for our arrival. We stayed on the Naval Base in Naples....at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius! Our apartment was very large with two bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen, huge living room, balcony, and laundry room. That laundry room is a story in and of itself! I have never seen such a tiny waher and dryer! It only fit one outfit....no joke. It ran on steam so you had to empty water trays and the dials were in Italian so I had no idea what was what. If I accidentally made it work, there was no opening the door to add a missed sock....it was locked until it finished....and I am not lying here........5-7 hours later! One day I spent 7 hours drying one pair of jeans! Ok, enough of that!
Yes, I flew solo with Ava and Olivia!! Can you believe it!! It was a 4 hour flight to Atlanta and then a 9 hour flight to Rome....and a one hour flight to Naples. The girls were perfect! They ate, played and slept. I kept telling myself it was much like driving on a long trip in a car, except more comfy!
It took us a while to adjust to the time difference. Once we did, we hit the road running. We ate everything in sight! I'd say our staples each day were fresh mozzerella, pizza, pasta, (cappucino for Victor and me), and tons of pastries. Every morsel we put in our mouths was amazing! The fruit over there is soooooooo sweet! Like it is soaked in sugar. The coffee was amazing. Nutella is all the rage! The wine was awesome!!! The smoking was not! It seemed like everyone smoked. UGH! The weird thing is that every single restuarant we went to, be it fancy or average, had tv monitors playing American rap music from the 80's, 90's and today! Let me tell you mutha fu**ers, it was strangely comforting to hear something familiar. :)
We went to historic sights in Naples and Rome. It blew my mind the history there and the fact that others had built those buildings thousands of years ago and they were still standing! How did they do that so long ago?  The castles are so huge I could not believe it. The fountains so grand... they are beautiful. Everything there is done on such a large scale....such grandious detail! Undescribable...pictures do it no justice. My words fall short.
The best is for last.....the shopping!!!!! I am talking shopping at the street markets. Amazing prices and amazing fun! They had real Italian leather boots for 10 euros....that is like $15!!! We went nuts!
The girls had a blast. They were amazing and well behaved.....in their jacked up stroller! ha! They loved the food too. They enjoyed the language and the people. They got lots of attention. Everyone asked if they were twins....ha. Yes, we fed one and not the other....ha.
 Italians were so nice and most spoke English. The sense of style there is amazing! I loved people watching. The women smelled so good! There is a certain laid back way of life that I breathed in. I certainly took away a lot from Italy. I am in love with it! Thank you Victor for showing us the world!
 Oh, on the trip back Victor flew home with us and it went very well....those girls of ours are little travelers....they love adventures and experiencing new things.....they will eat anywhere and sleep anywhere! (Let me brag a little!)
Here are a few pics. It was very cold and wet there. We rigged our double stroller using plastic and hair clips....sooooo classy....the Italians loved it! I couldn't tell if they thought we might be Brad and Angelina or if they were coveting the custom made stroller our children luxuriously traveled in!  It was the only way to keep the girls warm and dry, ok? We walked everywhere....in my Italian leather boots....brrrrrrr!









No comments:

Post a Comment